Machine Gun America?

I feel like I have to write this since the president has addressed this issue and God knows something must be done about the gun violence in this country. I am not a fan of guns but I am not a gun hater either. I grew up in Pennsylvania with a family that loved to hunt deer and sometimes pheasant ( I think more than anything they liked to go for a nice long walk in the woods). I grew up eating venison and never knew the difference. Guns were always locked up and they were only ever used during hunting season. We were always told that hand guns were lethal and to always stay away from them.

When I was in college in the Washington D.C. area I realized how dangerous guns could be since certain parts of the city were so dangerous that the thought of going there was like entering into a war zone.  Later we moved to the Philadelphia area where gun violence seemed to be taking over parts of the city like in D.C. and getting into the hands of too many young people. I saw first hand the murals in memory of young men that had been killed, spray painted on the cement walls of West Philadelphia.

 Gun violence started in small towns. Columbine was during the time I was in college so it really hit home. Since that time I am more and more disturbed by the gun violence here in the U.S. The Newtown tragedy was every parent's worst nightmare or at least it is now. At the time I never imagined that something so horrific could actually happen to 6 year olds. Our son was in 2nd grade at the time in a very small country school. Never ever could I have imagined that something so horrific could ever happen but it did.

                                                                       

Since our recent move to Orlando we have noticed that guns seem to be everywhere. There are huge billboards of machine guns, guns given away with jewelry purchases  and even a machine gun theme park! I found this clip you might find entertaining. At first we thought it was some sort of joke since being from the north nothing like this would ever be acceptable. So we did some research to find out that it is all true. How is this possible with all that has gone on in the world specifically here in the United States with gun violence? I do think we need a middle ground. I understand the 2nd Amendment. I get it, however when guns are being perceived as giant toys and there is a theme park dedicated to them just a few miles from Disney World I think we need to listen to our leaders calling for stricter gun laws. We need to look at what is happening here and try to make some changes. That is just my two cents. You don't have to agree with me but I do know that NO ONE wants to see children and teachers killed inside their classroom ever again.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction

Inspiring Innovation

Amphicars